26 March 2010

day 96

These are photos of our second hiking trip. We decided the kids did so well the day before, we'd challenge ourselves a little more on this day. It started out pretty easy. In fact, we began with one of the girls leading us on a little trail. The weather was beautiful, just a little warmer than we thought, so we stopped to shed a few layers and drink a some water.

Of course, with just a little prompting (mainly from Bryan) the girls led us off the path

and into....

and....

a forest of low, thorny branches and cacti. (I tried telling Libby that's plural for cactus and she just couldn't keep it straight. For her, one is cacti and more than one is cactuses!) After a few wacks in the face from branches, Levi was ready to get off Bryan's shoulders and into my arms. Whew! (Almost) 30 pounds in my arms while trying to navigate down a mountain is heavy! We made it through most of the branches when Libby started screaming while swatting her leg. I reached down and was immediately stung. I yelled that she was covered in fire ants before I realized she was covered in cactus needles (pins? razor blades?). They were stuck in my hands, her legs, her pants, her hands, and Bryan's hands. We picked them out of her pants for what seemed like an eternity, but, in the end had to roll up her pant leg and hope none were up higher than her knee. That was really the only drama of the trip. She's had fun telling everyone about it. :)
We were ready for a hamburger when we finally made it back to the van. Fortunately we had some snacks in the car that made the hour and 40 minute wait possible. Levi took a nap in the car with me while Bryan and the girls ate apples in line. It was all for me. I was the only one who really cared about eating in Meers. My less-than-patient husband waited in that line for me. I'm a lucky woman! I'm sure you're wondering if it was worth it. I was so worried they wouldn't be as good as I remembered, but the burger and peach cobbler with homemade ice cream did not disappoint. My mouth is watering just thinking about that meal. :)
I might have one more day of camping memories and then I'll move on to something else. I promise!

Photobucket