28 April 2009

Savannah, y'all!

A week ago, I was gettting a massage.

And, I was missing my family.

I had been in Savannah, GA with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law since Saturday and was heading to the airport that afternoon. The rental boat car was loaded with our luggage and all we had left to do was get a massage and eat lunch. It was a great ending to a fun trip.
We packed a lot into 4 days...shopping, eating, walking, eating, touring, eating, beach-ing, eating, relaxing. One of the best parts was getting to do all that without having to change any diapers, feed anyone else, answer a million questions, or clean anything up and with a full night of sleep. The Paula Deen tour was fun (actually the most entertaining aspect was the driver/guide). It included lunch at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House and we even got our pictures taken with Uncle Bubba! (I forgot my camera that day, so go here to see pics.) Uncle Bubba's was delicious. I could've eaten there a few more times. :) We drove out to Tybee Island on the one rainy day of our trip which also happened to be Lisa's birthday. I gathered shells and sand for my kids before the rain began. Of course, we ate at The Lady and Sons and, let me tell you, it did not disappoint. I had some high expectations. So high, in fact, that I started to wonder if it were possible for any restaurant to meet them. Perhaps, the "fatal flaw" was what saved my impression of our experience. That humanizing flaw was dessert. (Really, dessert. I know, the lady cooks with pounds of butter and sugar, but it really wasn't great.) But, by the time we ate dessert, my stomach was already so stuffed, it didn't matter. I ordered something I normally would never, ever get. The only reason I ordered it was for the dessert option. The only way to get Paula's Gooey butter cakes is to eat the buffet. I do not like buffets. I did like this buffet. I did not get a Gooey butter cake. I did get a red velvet cake that wasn't very good. Maybe nothing would've been very good at that point of satiation. The buffet was scrumptious though. I only wished I could've eaten more of it. :) We decided to turn in early that night and sleep off our gluttony.

While it felt recharging to get away and great to be with such fun ladies, I was ready to get back and see my people. I had driven Bryan's car to my parents house and my dad drove me to the airport, so he was supposed to be picking me up on Tuesday evening. We walked through the big revolving door at DFW airport and I found my baby, happy as a clam, sitting on his daddy's shoulders. He was wearing a "Welcome Home" sign. I couldn't get to them fast enough and the girls, with signs in hand, ran to meet me. The girls showered me with hugs and kisses. Levi was a little put off with me, but by Wednesday morning he was back to his old self. (Bryan kept telling me how tired Levi was. :) And, he probably was. It was almost bedtime for the girls - which meant it was past his bedtime - when my flight landed.)

The next day I should have unpacked and caught up on laundry. Instead I went to the grocery store and snuggled with my kids. I didn't have to clean because the house was spotless thanks to my thoughtful husband! It made the trip seem that much more relaxing because I was able to ease back into normal life. I am certainly back into normal life mode now, but find myself daydreaming about the next little girls' trip. :)

*We saw this van after lunch on Tuesday and it made me laugh.