04 April 2008

Can you believe it has been a month?

Levi David is 1 month old today. In fact, a month ago he was just about 3 1/2 hours old. Wow, has he changed!


He's sleeping now and content as can be in his car seat. The car seat is still his preferred sleeping spot. That is if he can't be laying between Bryan and me!


I can really tell how much "bigger" he is getting by how well nursing is going. I always say that nursing (if you choose to do it) is the hardest thing about being a new mom. It is also, in my opinion, one of the most rewarding things. While this time has been much, much easier, it is still challenging. It really isn't as natural as you'd think. But, having done it before helps a lot. He's getting a little faster at eating and isn't falling asleep non-stop (although he still has times when he'd love nothing more than to go between snacking and napping all day). He still eats often (at least every 2 hours during daylight), but he's letting me sleep a little more at night. Last night we went to bed around 10:15 and he didn't wake up until almost 3 am! If his weight gain still seems fine when we go to the doctor on Monday, I'm going to start working on dragging out feedings to every 3 hours.


Diaper changes make him angry. Neither of our girls really minded having their diapers changed. He screams from the moment I lay him down on the changing table until I pick him up again. If it continues, he'll be lots of fun when he gets to the age where babies like to turn over and try to get away while their diapers are being changed.


He also dislikes baths. Both of the girls were always soothed by baths, so go figure. Maybe it's his way of letting us know he is different from his sisters in every way! He actually just got his first real bath yesterday. His cord stump took 4 weeks to fall off, so he'd been getting sponge baths. I understood him screaming during those because he was freezing. He screamed during the real thing as well. He was so worked up by the time I finished, he continued to scream for another 10 minutes!


I promise he's smiling at me. This week he has started a little half smile every once in a while after or during a feeding. Bryan doesn't believe me and you probably don't either, but I will believe it until the day I die!


I don't think any of us can imagine life without this little man already. He started out surprising us and I can't wait to see how he'll surprise us in the future.


Isn't it amazing how God always creates more room in your heart for each new child? Thank you, Lord, for our son. Your blessings are abundant.