17 February 2008

A Sunday Story: An Encore

Back when I started this blog, I frequently wrote of different memories on Sunday afternoons. After a while, it became more of a burden than something I enjoyed. However, sweet Bryan took me down memory lane on Valentine's Day, so I thought a little Sunday Story might be in order.

The year was 1998. The place was College Station, TX, the house I shared with Angela and Emily, to be exact. The players were Bryan and me. We were young and foolish and in love.

I woke up one morning to find a rose petal trail leading out of my bedroom, down the hallway, and to the most gorgeous bouquet of flowers I had ever seen setting on our kitchen island. I'm telling you, it was magnificent. Full of beautiful flowers and every color you could think of, Bryan had hand selected each bloom. Of course, there was a card (and maybe even poetry) expressing his undying love for me.

I think I assumed one of my roommates let him in late the night before or early that morning. My roommates were both as unaware of the flowers as I was though.

It turns out, Bryan unlocked a window before he left the evening before. He then returned in the wee hours of the morning, snuck in the window and left the bouquet, card, and rose petal trail. According to him, I rolled over and seemed to wake a little while he was in my room which made him hit the floor. I have no recollection of any of that, but I know if I had been awoken by someome being in my room in the middle of my night, most of the residents of College Station would have heard my screams!

He says now, he would never do something like that again and he was a little nervous about the whole thing, but really hadn't thought through what the consequences of getting caught could have been. Weren't we all like that, at one time?! I have a suspicion that if he ever hears of some boy pulling a similar stunt with one of our girls, he won't quickly recall "the time"...

In fact, after he got home from work on Valentine's Day, we were talking about the gorgeous bouquet he got me with the card (no poetry) and rose petal trail and he asked, with a little worry in his voice, if my dad knew about the "other time". My how roles have changed!

I don't know if I ever told my parents what he did. I don't think I would have thought twice about it though because, to me, it was the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for me. Of course, as I was typing out this post and remembering "that time", I did get a little alarmed. Not because of Bryan, but because of how easy it was for him to "break into" our house.

My roommates and I dated and had male friends over all the time. Sometimes it was a first date from some guy we met at a Bible study or from some guy we met at a bar (uhmm, yeah, that would be Bryan! We were only there to dance, Mom and Dad!) or some guy we met at a party or in class. We didn't know these people. We didn't know their motivations. And, we certainly didn't ever check our window locks! We trusted that these young men wanted the same things from us that we wanted from them...friendship, laughter, clean fun, someone to hang out with, maybe a kiss or two, and then a goodnight-see-you-later.

Like I said, we were young and foolish. Bryan and I were in love (we still are, actually) and I knew him pretty well by then. He loved to surprise me. That hasn't changed either. Bryan's a "planner" by nature. He had my engagement ring for 4 months before he gave it to me knowing the entire time when and how he would propose. His excessive planning can drive this fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants, easy-going girl crazy sometimes, but we work. I like to think we balance each other out. I know I've gotten better at planning since we've been married. I don't know that he's gotten anymore laid-back. He has gotten more patient. While I'd like to claim credit for that, I believe it has come along with the additions to our family. We've both grown up and (hopefully) gained wisdom, or at least maturity.

Fortunately he didn't have to "break into" my house to surprise me this time!


My flower surprise in 2008!


My flower surprise in 1998!